help with shih tzu (fussy eater)

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

andie

help with shih tzu (fussy eater)

Post by andie »

Hi, I'm new and so happy to have found this forum. I adopted a 5 year old shih tzu in October who was on his second rehoming. He came to me with a very upset tummy and poo problems which I got under control with a boiled chicken and rice diet.

He will not eat Kibble no matter what the brand but he will chew his doggie treats.

Right now I'm mixing some Caesar ( the only wet food he will eat) in with his chicken and rice plus a small amount of cheese but he doesn't go after the food with a lot of gusto.

I watched an episode where Victoria had to deal with a small Yorkie (I think his name was Bailey) who was being fed with a fork off the dining table and I saw that she added a small bit of raw garlic to his food which seemed to do the trick.

I thought garlic was very bad for dogs but now that I know this form is not I would like to try it and also does anyone know what food she added it to?

Sorry this is post is so long
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Start from the other end - if his poos are okay, you have pretty much solved the digestion issues. If he relapses, a spoonful of plain bio yoghurt and one of honey work wonders. You can get canine probiotics from your vet, but this is just as good and a lot cheaper (but don't let me put you off getting the probiotics if you prefer).

Secondly - is he thin? If not, he is getting enough food. Dogs that size have itsy tummies. We have two terriers who get a tablespoonful of food a day each. That's all they need.

I don't blame him for not eating kibble. :lol:

Have you had his teeth checked?

Chicken and rice is okay if mostly chicken and a little rice - or even no rice, so long as you feed some fruit and vegetables. Cereals aren't all that good for dogs. With a dog so small, the easiest way is to cook an extra portion when you cook vegetables for yourself, and mix in well with the chicken juices. He will need a bonemeal or mineral supplement, and some red meat two or three times a week. Doesn't have to be much.

All the best with your doggie. :D
andie

Post by andie »

Nettle wrote:Start from the other end - if his poos are okay, you have pretty much solved the digestion issues. If he relapses, a spoonful of plain bio yoghurt and one of honey work wonders. You can get canine probiotics from your vet, but this is just as good and a lot cheaper (but don't let me put you off getting the probiotics if you prefer).

Secondly - is he thin? If not, he is getting enough food. Dogs that size have itsy tummies. We have two terriers who get a tablespoonful of food a day each. That's all they need.

I don't blame him for not eating kibble. :lol:

Have you had his teeth checked?

Chicken and rice is okay if mostly chicken and a little rice - or even no rice, so long as you feed some fruit and vegetables. Cereals aren't all that good for dogs. With a dog so small, the easiest way is to cook an extra portion when you cook vegetables for yourself, and mix in well with the chicken juices. He will need a bonemeal or mineral supplement, and some red meat two or three times a week. Doesn't have to be much.

All the best with your doggie. :D

Thank you for your prompt reply. He weighed 10.5 lbs. when I adopted him in October and he was at the vet last week for shots,heartworm etc. and now weighs 15 lbs.

His teeth are fine. He loves his milkbone treats (I did try all the natural treats which he hates including any natural canned dog food.) His poops have been alright too.

I'd like to see him be as interested in his food as he is his treats.

I even put some garlic powder in his food this morning and he's not happy with that and still holding out for a treat
Also he's not a fan of any fruits or veggies I have offered him every one dogs are allowed to eat.

He is the first shih tzu I have owned and I'm having a wonderful time with him.
DogCharmer

HI

Post by DogCharmer »

I would try breaking the treats into his food into small pieces. If you dont alreasy I would try to give him meal times. I am begining to feed my dogs 2 meals a day, which they really start looking forward to! I always pretend to eat some of their food first. I use IAMS soft food and IAMS dry food and mix it all up. I will leave it out for 20 minutes. Maybe u should lower down how much treats u give him because hes probably thinking treats taste better so I will just get a lot of those and he wont want to eat any other food. Also I would make it really fun for him if he eats his food like praise him and play with him and encourage him to eat his food.Good luck!!!!!!!!
andie

He's eating dog food, sort of

Post by andie »

I decided to try a package of Beneful Prepared Meals Dog Food (I know it's not the greatest choice ) that I mixed with some boiled white meat chicken and a little bit of cheese instead of the cesar canine cuisine I had been feeding him.
He dove into it and licked the plate clean. :o
I want him to eat a better grade of dog food but for now we are both okay with the Beneful.
I just ordered some sample packs of Wysong UnCannyâ„¢ Chicken and Yogurt and Beef and Egg, also Dream Treatsâ„¢ Beef and the Chicken. I'm hoping to he won't turn is little funny nose up a the brand.
KMH62955

Post by KMH62955 »

I have a 10 year old Shih Tzu and I feed her the following:

Chicken Thighs (Frozen,boneless,skinless) boiled in Ckn Broth,
I drain them cut them into bite size pieces and and add a lg can of Veg All. I save Yogurt cups and mix the Veg All and cut up chicken and place into a 6 or 8 oz Yogurt container. I keep 3 containers [1 ea. day] in the refrigerator and freeze the rest and take out as needed. I heat in Microwave for about 45 seconds to take the chill off and Shelby gobbles it down.

Occassionally I will substitute the Chicken Thighs with Ground Turkey Meat and boil it in Chkn Broth drain and add Veg All.

Veg All is good because it has carrotts, celery, lima beans, green beans and potatoes.

I do also give her a Multi Vitamin a day. She is Healthy and Happy.

OH and I also give her 1 TABLESPOON of Plain Sugar Free Yogurt a day.
The Vet said this is good to aid in digestion and to build up their immune system.
Kim
andie

thanks for the info

Post by andie »

KMH62955 wrote:I have a 10 year old Shih Tzu and I feed her the following:

Chicken Thighs (Frozen,boneless,skinless) boiled in Ckn Broth,
I drain them cut them into bite size pieces and and add a lg can of Veg All. I save Yogurt cups and mix the Veg All and cut up chicken and place into a 6 or 8 oz Yogurt container. I keep 3 containers [1 ea. day] in the refrigerator and freeze the rest and take out as needed. I heat in Microwave for about 45 seconds to take the chill off and Shelby gobbles it down.

Occassionally I will substitute the Chicken Thighs with Ground Turkey Meat and boil it in Chkn Broth drain and add Veg All.

Veg All is good because it has carrotts, celery, lima beans, green beans and potatoes.

I do also give her a Multi Vitamin a day. She is Healthy and Happy.

OH and I also give her 1 TABLESPOON of Plain Sugar Free Yogurt a day.
The Vet said this is good to aid in digestion and to build up their immune system.
kfon

Post by kfon »

Hi Andie,
Brand new here and my first post.
I felt compelled to reply because I went through a very similar situation with our new little guy.
A rescue terrier mix. Cagney.
We must have spent a fortune on "good , healthy" food.
Tried a whole lot of different things and everynight I was online researching.
We finally went to chicken & rice for about 2 weeks.
And then I found Dr. Harveys !
It is all natural that you add water to for 8 minutes and then add your own protein & oil.
I thought, no way my pupper would like it but low and behold HE LOVES IT !! and eats happily at meal time !
He has more enrgy and play time then he EVER has !
I bought it online first , I think Amazon has it. I found a store that carried it and picked up all they had !
I would definitly encourage you to give it a try !!
It is so nice to see our guy loving mealtimes !!!
hope this helps !!!
Holldenwolf

fussy shih tzu

Post by Holldenwolf »

My Shih Tzu was a bit fussy and I found that he liked to eat Marrow Bone Treats by Pedigree. I think that they are difficult to find nowadays but the thought is that he may have preferred crunchy and large over small and soggy. Perhaps try something like that. My Shih Tzu never experienced defecation problems with those treats - his feces was always well-formed.