How do I get a tick part out of m dog

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

jellybean

How do I get a tick part out of m dog

Post by jellybean »

I screwed up removing a tick - dont have much experience at it - and now there is a part of the damn thing under my dog's skin. the area is red which means it's inflamed. How do I get the darn thing out? Or will it eventually come out by itself? Do I need to take her to a vet? If so, how long can I wait because the low cost vet won't be on duty till Sunday, 6 days from now.
Nettle

Re: How do I get a tick part out of m dog

Post by Nettle »

Relax. This is easy :)

You need some lavender oil or tea tree oil. Dab it on the inflamed part. If you can't get either, then cider vinegar in salt water is a good second choice. It MUST be cider vinegar.

The red part will form a scab, possibly with a little pus. Pus is GOOD in this context because it shows the immune system is doing its job. Do NOT touch or pick, but you can dab some more with lavender/tea tree/cider v and salt for as long as the redness remains.

The mouth parts of the tick will be carried to the top of the lump in the scab, and the scab will naturally shell out when it is ready. DO NOT HELP IT. Let it do this in its own time. It will take 1-2 weeks.

Healthy bodies cope very well with this sort of thing. :wink: Don't beat yourself up about it.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Sweetie's Human

Post by Sweetie's Human »

Straight to the vet. Don't worry about the cost and don't wait, you don't want the head of a tick under the skin.
jellybean

Post by jellybean »

Thank you.I'll try the more conservative approach first. If it doesn't work, I'll take her to the vet.
jellybean

Post by jellybean »

It has worked beautifully. I had cider vinegar and salt on hand so that is what I used. You can hardly see any mark on her belly anymore.

Thank you.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

My pleasure. :)
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS