Questions in preparation for our new puppy....

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Milo&Oliver

Questions in preparation for our new puppy....

Post by Milo&Oliver »

We'll be bringing home our new mini dachshund in about a month and I have a few questions. I know that the puppy will need to be taken out to potty during the night. At what age are they able to hold it all night? What's the best way to teach the puppy (when old enough) to hold it and ask to be let out? We plan to always physically go out with the dog to potty in order to provide instant reward and praise.

We are planning to crate train. What should we put in his crate? I didn't know if we should really put a bed in until he's potty trained or if that would more so encourage him not to soil his bedding??

Another issue we will have is training him not to jump onto and off furniture due to the delicate backs inherent with the breed. We're planning to have steps for the bed if/when we decide to allow him to sleep with us. I'd really rather not put stairs to the couches if at all possible. Is there a way to train to wait until lifted to be put on the furniture?

There will be a room gated off for our cats to have their food, litter box, and just a space away from the dog. However, I'm worried they won't be able to jump over one of the waist high baby gates. I did find a shorter one (24 inches high I think), but I'm afraid the dog will be able to get over it as it gets older. Is there any way to train the dog not to? :)

Thanks!!
Lis & Addy

Post by Lis & Addy »

The best possible thing, if you can manage it, is to have the crate in your bedroom at night, and in whatever room you spend the most time in during the day, i the daytime.

Generally, puppies need to potty after sleeping, after eating, after drinking, after playing, and then just because they haven't been out to potty in a while.

A decent rule of thumb is that a puppy can hold its bladder for a number of hours equal to its age in months, plus one. So, a three month old puppy could theoretically hold it for four hours. For toy breed puppies, though, I wouldn't push it beyond "a number of hours equal to its age in months."

Whenever you cannot directly supervise your puppy, he should be in his crate--and the crate should be just large enough for him to stand up, turn around, and lie down. Larger than that, and he'll be able to potty in one corner and avoid lying in it.

He doesn't stay in the crate longer than he can reasonably be expected to hold his bladder. Every single time he comes out of the crate, first stop is his potty area. He gets 10-15 minutes to potty; if he doesn't, back in the crate for another 10-15 minutes, and then back out to the potty area. Wash, rinse, repeat. :D He gets time out of the crate, directly supervised, when he potties.

As he gets the idea, and as he physically matures, you can gradually increase the amount of time between potty trips, and gradually give him more freedom in the house.

The most important key to teaching him that he should hold it, as he becomes physically better able to it, is to combine teaching him that he WILL regularly be given access to his potty area, and that there's a BIG PAYOFF for pottying there rather than anywere else--puppy party, treats, playtime, pettying, praise. Make it worth his while to wait!

Lis
Lis & Addy

Post by Lis & Addy »

Oh, and unless your cats are very elderly or have physical problems of some kind, I would not worry about them not being able get over a standard baby gate. :D

Lis
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I take very young puppies out to potty every hour. They might be able to hold on for longer, or they might not, but I prefer not to force the issue.

At night, as Lis&Addy says, the crate in the bedroom is the way. It isn't for ever, and it is so worth making the extra effort early on.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Milo&Oliver

Post by Milo&Oliver »

Thanks everyone!

I'm sure the cats could probably jump over it as they are only a little over a year old. I've just only seen them jump onto things, not necessarily over them. And I also worry about the long term effects of having to jump over something that high. But I tend to worry in general..... :)
Milo&Oliver

Post by Milo&Oliver »

Just bumping to see if anyone has any ideas for teaching a dog to wait to be lifted onto and off furniture? I'm assuming it would work the same as waiting to be invited but I'm not sure how to teach that??? Thanks!!
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

If you are using steps to get on a piece of furniture then train to use the steps to get down.

I would start by just having the steps alone and teaching him to go up, then turn around and go down. At this point if you want him in your lap, pick him up. If you can't hold him there, set him down on the floor rather than leaving him on the couch.

Heavily reward use of the stairs...then have the stairs lead to somewhere he wants to go like on the couch. He goes up the stairs onto the couch reward. then cue him to go down the stairs to the floor, reward

Lather rinse repeat allowing him to stay longer and longer, but I would not let him go up or down on his own. Cue him up or cue him down.
Milo&Oliver

Post by Milo&Oliver »

Thanks!! We'll be using the stairs if we end up having him eventually sleep with us but I'd rather not have to use them for the couches. I realize though this may be a necessity. He's being crate trained so he'll be in that when we aren't home. It may be too much to ask but I'd like him to wait to be lifted onto and off the couches instead of trying to jump. I just wasn't sure how to teach it in the places where there are no steps. I guess that may be too confusing? I've never had a dog where this was an issue so I'm trying to figure out ways to protect his back. Thanks again!
MaiasMom

Post by MaiasMom »

I have one additional thing I use with a new puppy. before you go get him/her go buy a nice size stuffed animal, take off anything like button eyes and nose, no squeekers please.

Take it with you to the breeder and let all the puppies play with it, getting there smell all over it. If you put puppy in the crate with it, puppy can smell his/her siblings and feel comforted, it's all in the nose.

I have done this with all of my puppies and never had one cry all night. It's worth a try and a good nights sleep.
The best days are spent with my dogs.
PitBullLove

Post by PitBullLove »

Awwwwwww............ my friend has mini dachshunds and I am so in love with them. They are total sweethearts. My dogs are trained to respect baby gates and they realistically could knock them over without even trying. lol I just have the low cheap plastic ones. :wink: