Eating Grass

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

cassiesloveableowner

Eating Grass

Post by cassiesloveableowner »

My dog eats grass. Is that normal? I mean every time she goes outsise, she is always munching in grass! Is it good for dogs?

PLEASE COMMENT!!!!!

From cassiesloveableowner. :mrgreen:
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Eating grass is normal - there are several reasons why a dog might eat grass, some are signs of a problem and some are not.

A dog may eat grass to aid it in vomiting up some irritant in the stomach, or they may eat grass to aid in removing internal parasites. Other times they eat grass because they feel they need some vegetable matter in their diet, and some do it from boredom.

If its excessive then I can only recommend you go to a vet.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

If you add lightly cooked or raw liquidised veg to your dogs' diets, they will not need to eat so much grass.

It's normal and natural - the dogs are self-medicating, as Emms says. Unfortunately it's a rare vet that looks at this from a medical angle: most try to sell you dried food, which is the worst possible thing to do to a grass eater.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Mollysmom

Post by Mollysmom »

I tease Molly about her "salad" eatting...

she tends to prefer the longer bits so she does a nice job of keeping the area around the birdfeeder trimmed up.
I haven't noticed a real trend to it other than that she's fond of her greens...
~* Proud Mommy of a Mix Breed *~
[url=http://www.myspace.com/mollymae2004]Molly's Myspace Page[/url]
"If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either." - Unknown
cassiesloveableowner

Post by cassiesloveableowner »

Thanks so much for the comments, advice, and tips! :mrgreen:
I just wanted to make sure that my dog was normal...........

cassiesloveableowner

:mrgreen:
SushiChick

Post by SushiChick »

Good question. My dog's do the same thing, but my worry is don't alot of parasites live on the tips of grass and in the soil? Grant you, I know most live in a dog's stool and should be picked up immediately, but I just read that somewhere. :?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

The design spec for dogs includes outdoor living and grass/herb eating :D and even parasites.

So long as you worm your dog with a veterinary approved product at intervals confirmed by your vet (mine get wormed twice a year) your dog will not take harm if s/he inadvertently eats a parasite. All God's chillun get parasites, including us. The thing to do is never let them build up.

The very idea of any of our loved ones getting bugs is abhorrent isn't it, but the bugs are there and nothing stops them, so the way to go is treat for them appropriately.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
doxiegirll

grass eating

Post by doxiegirll »

:wink: My doxies eat grass off and on I was always told even when growing up by my mom. That dogs will often eat grass to help calm their stomachs or aid in throwing up. It isn't something that will hurt them. I live in the mountians of Arizona where there are alot of juniper trees, so they will often eat the juniper berries to. I couldn't figure out what they liked about them as someone told me it was abnormal and the berries poisonous. Not true!!
Even we humans can eat them grass too if desperate enough. :lol:
so yes it can be normal or it could indicate that thier tummy is upset
doxiegirll

grass eating

Post by doxiegirll »

:wink: My doxies eat grass off and on I was always told even when growing up by my mom. That dogs will often eat grass to help calm their stomachs or aid in throwing up. It isn't something that will hurt them. I live in the mountians of Arizona where there are alot of juniper trees, so they will often eat the juniper berries to. I couldn't figure out what they liked about them as someone told me it was abnormal and the berries poisonous. Not true!!
Even we humans can eat them grass too if desperate enough. :lol:
so yes it can be normal or it could indicate that thier tummy is upset