Scared to death

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

lablver2

Scared to death

Post by lablver2 »

So we have a neighbor who didn't socialize one of their dogs properly. They have a 6.5 foot fence. They also have a American Pit bull Terrier as well as a Staffordshire Terrier. The staffy is the one who wasn't socialized properly and is known to become aggresive with visitors and is extremley aggresive with other dogs.

My concern is that the dogs are kept in their small back yard all day and are sometimes even kept in a dog run. all day and then sit in a kennel all night in the garage. The staffy jumps on the fence when ever people or dogs come near the fence. He jumps so high I can see half of his body. He growls and constantly barks at whoever passes by.

Every day I just get more scared of the dog. He just keeps jumping higher and higher and I can just see him getting over. I am afraid he will come and go after Belgian. Belgian is 6 year old English Labrador who doesn't have the best of hips and even though I know he would defend himself and I, I really fear what would happen if this dog jumped over.

People no longer want to walk up on our street and interact with our dogs as they fear the neighbor's dogs. People have complained in the past. Our animal control sucks. Not only that our neighbors think it is cute and funny and they do't see the problem even though people have told them straight up they are afraid of the staffy.

It irritates me and scares me when I walk Belgian or even if Belgian is out. I get very tense and that just reflects back on Belgian who in returns starts also tensing up.

IS there any way I can try to act more confident around the neighbors house and make Belgian more comfortable? I do not know what to do and I just see this as something waiting for something bigger to happen. The house is hard to avoid too as I live on a cul-de-sac. I know I can just drive Belgian somewhere eslse to walk but I still am not going to be comfortable with Belgian outside. The people live 3 houses down.

I love pitbulls and staffies and their pitbull is a sweetheart but the staffy scares the heck out of me when I am walking him. I did have the chance to meet him though a few years back and he seemed so sweet and now they are saying with visitors he can be aggresive.
Belgian: 6 year old English Chocolate Labrador Retriever.
"The more boys I meet, the more I love my dog"-Carrie Underwood