Miniature Schnauzer puppy is vicious

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

amyh

Miniature Schnauzer puppy is vicious

Post by amyh »

We have a 10 week old Miniature Schnauzer. We brought her home at 7 weeks. Very sweet... most of the time. However, she is vicious when we try to pick her up. When I use the term 'vicious' I mean growl and hard bite breaking the skin. She started this behavior 2 weeks ago. We have 3 children, ages 12, 9, and 7. They are very gentle with her and have never done anything to hurt her. She is well cared for and loves to play, sleeps well, and is well on her way to being housebroken. She has to be picked up to be taken outside a the very minimum. We have steps that she is still too small to maneuver. We've tried sternly saying 'NO!', that seems to help for a split second. We've tried putting her down or releasing her which definitely stops the growl/bite but I feel it's submitting to her. She has bitten myself and my children several times breaking the skin. They are beginning to be afraid of this little puppy.

I posted this questions several days ago but didn't give much detail at the time. I hope the above detail helps. Any suggestions will be appreciated!