My Black Lab needs to shed some weight!

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Olliekinz

My Black Lab needs to shed some weight!

Post by Olliekinz »

I have a female black lab. I know labs are prone to being fat! "Katie" is 4yo and gets fed 2cups of food in the morning and one at night. She stays in the garage all day and gets out when we come home from work at about 3:30 P.M. central. In the summer she runs all the time and swims in the pond. Last summer I got her some diet dog food and it helped w/ excersize as well :roll: I need some way to get her trimmed down. My brother has a black and yellow lab. He leaves a HUGE bowl of food out for them 24/7 and he can barely keep weight on them. I need some advice :!:
Maltipoo-Oliver
Blk Lab-Katie
Sheltie-Poker
German Shep.-Shadow or Lucky's Shadow(Reg. name)
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

You have mentioned her kibble intake, but what extras does she get in treats?

Treats add lots of additional calories into a dog's diet that need to be figured in for feeding purposes.

If you give 1/2 cup worth of treats, then you should be cutting 1/2 cup from the amount of kibble they get.

In addition, daily exercise for 30 minutes to an hour of good running, swimming etc... will also help shed pounds.
spottsdogcare

Post by spottsdogcare »

I suggest you do cut back some on the amount you are feeding. Treats that are full of sugar, salt and grains are not good to give either Instead, If your dog’s weight is a growing concern, consider the nutritious Weight-Loss Formula. Formulated for effective use as part of a weight loss or weight control program, is a nutritionally balanced food that delivers the support dogs need to lose fat and maintain healthy weights. This food contains no artificial flavors or colors, and no corn, corn gluten, wheat or wheat gluten. Check out my signature line on healthy foods.
Susan Potts
Professional Groomer & Pet Food Adviser
www.spottsgrooming.com Pro Groomer USA
www.pipschoice.com Holistic Foods
http://spottsdogcare.blogspot.com The Healthy Dog
Maxy24

Post by Maxy24 »

I'm not a huge fan of diet foods, they are usually full of junk, like grains. I would use a high quality, food with no grains or if you can't afford grain free at least one without corn or wheat. A grain free food is higher in nutrients so you can feed less. This may give the dog more energy as well.

You may also want to cut back on kibble and replace it with wet food, wet food has MUCH less carb content than dry food which needs carbs to stay solid and crunchy. Again make sure it has few or no grains.

and of course, the more excercise the better!! if you are not big on going out yourself you can train her to walk on a treadmill, just remember that you must ALWAYS watch your dog and be right there next to the dog while she's on it. And don't make her go fast, just a good walking pace with breaks for water. you could probably train her to request the treadmill if you wanted but that could get annoying :lol:
Olliekinz

Post by Olliekinz »

I don't feed her treats or table scraps. Maybe she has a thyroid problem?????? I don't know what it could be......
Maltipoo-Oliver
Blk Lab-Katie
Sheltie-Poker
andie

Re: My Black Lab needs to shed some weight!

Post by andie »

Olliekinz wrote:I have a female black lab. I know labs are prone to being fat! "Katie" is 4yo and gets fed 2cups of food in the morning and one at night. She stays in the garage all day and gets out when we come home from work at about 3:30 P.M. central. In the summer she runs all the time and swims in the pond. Last summer I got her some diet dog food and it helped w/ excersize as well :roll: I need some way to get her trimmed down. My brother has a black and yellow lab. He leaves a HUGE bowl of food out for them 24/7 and he can barely keep weight on them. I need some advice :!:
I adopted/rescued a 5 year old Shih Tzu last year who had lots of tummy problems. After over babying him he is according to my vet; overweight. He is now eating Purina vet diet OM Overweight Management and he does get treats (low calorie) but food reduction alone will usually not cause weight loss; just as in humans exercise is important. You didn’t say how much exercise the dog is getting in the off season. He needs a good run at least an hour a day. Can you afford a pet walker to come in and walk her? I don’t know how many hours she is in the garage but if it’s more than 4 or 5 she needs to be let out for a break.
Olliekinz

Post by Olliekinz »

It would be nice to get a pet walker but I live WAY out in the country. I leave her in there for about 5hrs. a day. She gets about and hour outside running around. It is her choice wether she wants to come out or not. Sometimes she is SO willing. Other she wants to stay in the garage. It is also VERY cold out -2 for a high on 1/15! The garage is heated so I think that affects her decision. Thanks for the advice:)
Maltipoo-Oliver
Blk Lab-Katie
Sheltie-Poker
andie

Post by andie »

Olliekinz wrote:It would be nice to get a pet walker but I live WAY out in the country. I leave her in there for about 5hrs. a day. She gets about and hour outside running around. It is her choice wether she wants to come out or not. Sometimes she is SO willing. Other she wants to stay in the garage. It is also VERY cold out -2 for a high on 1/15! The garage is heated so I think that affects her decision. Thanks for the advice:)
Have you asked the vet to run a thyroid panel? it may be that she needs more exercise than she is getting and/or that you are not feeding her the right food.
Have you tried the Purina OM?

http://www.purinaveterinarydiets.com/Ca ... x?prod=227

It takes time to reduce weight but it's a good idea to have the vet check her out too.
Olliekinz

Post by Olliekinz »

I think the food has traces of corn in it though :?
Maltipoo-Oliver
Blk Lab-Katie
Sheltie-Poker
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

What food are you feeding her and what are the ingredients?

Can you weight a cupful of food as well please, cups can vary in their size.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
andie

Post by andie »

Olliekinz wrote:I think the food has traces of corn in it though :?
you might want to look at this web site although I'm not sure any of the brands have diet food. I am wondering what your vet is recommending as far as diet, amount to feed and exercising?

http://www.4pawsu.com/dogfood.htm
jmbau

Post by jmbau »

Olliekinz wrote:I don't feed her treats or table scraps. Maybe she has a thyroid problem?????? I don't know what it could be......
The most common cause of overweight in any creature (dogs, people, cats!) is too much ingoing energy vs not enough outgoing. ie, too much food, not enough exercise. Yeah, a thyroid problem can occur... but not very often at all! And nowhere near as often as people hope or wish it would.

One of these needs to change: food/exercise. Ideally both (food down, exercise up). Almost certainly you're over-feeding. And most labs will keep eating as long as it's there...
Jmbau
MaiasMom

Post by MaiasMom »

2 things, she's a girl and spayed? I think 2 cups of food in the morning and 1 at night plus treats is a lot if the dog is laying around that much. Just like us they have to burn more than they eat to get the weight off. I would cut the morning meal down, offer non processed treats if she will take them, mine like baby carrots your might like something else. My dogs are pretty active and they don't get that much kibble. You have to really look at what is in the food you buy. Corn is a big no no for my 3, not in any form. Chicken and Rice as a base is what I use AND before I feed anything, I check out how the host animal was killed. Injection seems more humane but that drug circulates in the blood which goes into the meat as the animal dies. for give the spelling, pheonobarbital accumulates in any system. I only feed a product if the host animal was killed without drugs so the heart stops pumping blood to the meat. Sounds cruel I know. I don't feed anything that has red meat. Not even me. Steroids and other chemicals stay in the meat. I feed range grown chicken, it costs a bit more but not drugs.
The best days are spent with my dogs.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Should anyone have a conscience problem, killing without drugs can be perfectly humane and often faster than killing with them.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
mj702002

Post by mj702002 »

Unfortunately I have to agree with you Nettle :( Growing up my dad hunted - when he shot a rabbit or a deer it was instant. When I was in college a horse that had to be put down was donated to the college. It seemed like it took forever, and I hope I never have to witness something like that again, I handled the autopsy after just fine.