Dog won't accept visitors

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Pupster

Dog won't accept visitors

Post by Pupster »

Hi, I have a rescue dog (4-5yr old foxy x jack russell) who doesn't like visitors in our home. What makes it tough is we live in a studio with large terrace. This means the dog sleeps on the bed (alot). When people come over he is very aggressive, growls and bears his teeth. He hasn't bitten anyone yet but I still worry. He also has a habit of running at people when their back is turned. At the dog park he is the opposite. He also doesn't allow anyone to pat him.
I am trying to get him off the bed & made his own chair not far away and he has a dog bed which he actually pushed under the bed. My problem is he will still get into the bed as soon as I am asleep.
Anyone have any other things I can try?
Thankfully I have one friend that is game enough to try and help out but if I leave the room he gets scared and hides.
With me he is mostly a great dog & I would love for others to see that too and not be worried to visit.
Pupster

Post by Pupster »

Thank you Victoria, I have just finished watching your show in Australia tonight and have a feeling that it will help, my boy ain't as bad as the Teddy pom pom but am sure that using the tools you displayed will work.

My boy Benny always hides when your show starts as he knows that the picnic is over & he will have to give up his dominent position.

If anyone has any other tips (also for the park as he humps two of the quieter dogs there) I would be happy to hear them
leigh

Post by leigh »

tonite's show was perfect for you! What an adorable little pom teddy was! Good luck! I have a jack russel and a pomxjack, and they both do the same thing as yours - sleep on the floor until we're asleep and then jump in bed! - I'm waiting to save enough for a baby gate to keep them out of the room - can't just shut the door because they scratch the paint off and we rent!.. but if you find out any more tips for KEEPING them on their own bed, I'll be reading!
Josie

Post by Josie »

It sounds a lot like your dog is frightened of visitors, particularly if he's being aggressive when they leave (often frightened dogs don't feel brave enough when someone is facing them, but get a rush of confidence when their backs are turned!)

If the problem is due to fear, I would steer clear of using any punishment or noise aversion, all that will do is make him more scared.

I would be wary about implementing something you've seen on your tv. Dogs are individuals and have different reasons for behaving in the way they do. I think your best bet is to find a good, reward based trainer or behaviourist in your area to assess your dog and give you a programme to follow.

Aggression is a very complex problem, and sadly there is no 'one size fits all' approach. It's also very risky, dogs that bite often end up dead. It's not worth taking the risk.
Pupster

Post by Pupster »

thank you both for you replies, I am willing to try anything to let other people see the cute dog I see.

I think he's behaviour may be fear motivated, it is hard being in a studio & I've decided that it may be best to move so that I can give him the best chance at a happy life. As I've said he has never actually bitten anyone but I would rather resolve it before it gets that bad.

I have already rearranged my place to ensure that he knows that the bed is mine not his, long process ahead but am will try & stick with it...

Again I am open to suggestions as I really want to give him the best I can without him taking over the place. I am slowly seeing results in the little things like not letting him eat human food for dinner & he has taken this very well.