COLLIE CROSS CHEWING FEET

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

HELEN

COLLIE CROSS CHEWING FEET

Post by HELEN »

CAN ANYONE HELP? MY 10 MONTH OLD COLLIE CROSS LABRADOR WILLNOT LEAVE MY SISTER ALONE. AS SOON AS SHE HAS COME IN FROM WORK HE JUMPS UP AT HER, CHEWS HER FEET, HER TROUSERS. IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT SHE HAS ON HER FEET. HE DOES IT WHEN SHE HAS SLIPPERS ON OR NOTHING ON HER FEET AND IT GOES ON AND ON.HE DOESNT DO IT TO ANYONE ELSE.WE HAVE TRIED ALSORTS TO TRY AND STOP IT BUT NOTHING WILL WORK
leigh

Post by leigh »

if he jumps up on her, she should turn away from him and ignore him until all 4 paws are on the ground. If he runs around to her front again and jumps, turn around again. If this doesn't work - when he runs towards her to jump up, if she steps backwards he won't be able to land on her, but don't turn this into a game. Step back and ignore.

If he chews her feet - what does she do?

Whenever the dog chews at her feet/shoes, she could firmly say "NO", and pull her feet away, but give him a toy that he CAN chew on - a pigs ear, a rawhide, a chewing nylabone, a soft toy, or something equivalent (mine had doggy teething rings). Whenever you see him chewing on "his" chew toys, praise him. When he chews on her feet and you give him his chew toys, as soon as he starts to chew on them, praise him.

This way, you are not just telling him "NO, don't do that" - he obviously likes doing it, it's fun to him, and he doesn't understand why you don't want him to have fun. By giving him something that he can chew on, you are saying to him "No, I don't want you to do that to her feet, but you CAN chew on this instead" - so you are teaching him what you want him to do instead of chewing on your sisters feet.

I used this method with my puppy - and now she still loves to chew on "her" toys, and she knows which are her toys and mommy's toys/feet/fingers etc and are out of bounds.

I hope this helps[/i]
Bea

Post by Bea »

Another thought
Why your sister?
What makes her "special" to the dog, why does he pick on her?
Does she hold a special place in his life?

When I come home I am met by an array of a half dozen different type and size dogs in the home. All I do is ignore them, walk past them, don't look at them, don't talk to them, turn away ... and only when they have calmed down will I tell them to sit and only THEN they are allowed to greet me. I need to keep this up as we run a rescue and often rescue dogs are mixed in with the house group (who all know the rules well) so they need to cop on straight away.

Bea
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
- Pudd'nhead Wilson's Calendar/Mark Twain