Dog rucksack

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Lauram

Dog rucksack

Post by Lauram »

I was in pets at home yestrday and saw some totally cool dog camping equipment. Some of it would be great. When I take Po and Alf we have all kind of issues with carrying stuff thats before the squashing into a tent and dealing with the wriggling, shuffling and bed scratching that goes on before peace descends.

The coolest thing was this dog rucksack type thing. I didn't buy it but I might. That way Po can carry his own gear. Has anyone else used anything similar? How much do you think he could manage? I was thinking he could atleast carry his own water and lunch :lol: Maybe I could load him up completly- get him carrying my things for a change :twisted: :lol:

Just wondered what they are like? If any of you guys have had any experience good or bad with using dog packs. They were made by 3 peaks if that helps.
Sarah83

Re: Dog rucksack

Post by Sarah83 »

I've got a dog backpack for Rupe. It's actually more like panniers than a backpack (one bag on each side of him). The only issue I have with it is balancing the weight. If one side is heavier than the other it slides. Rupe used to carry his water, treats, muzzle and fetch item to class each week. Wearing it has never bothered him although he can't judge the extra space it needs so tends to scrape it against walls, trees, doorways etc.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

A well known doggy behavior television personality advocates packs for dogs, and having them carry something, even a water bottle on each side (make sure the weight is equal on both sides). Said tv personality says a dog can carry up to 7% of his own weight safely. I've been wanting to get one for Annie for a long time now, but they cost upwards of $60.00 or more in the U.S.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
forkin14

Post by forkin14 »

Fundog wrote:A well known doggy behavior television personality advocates packs for dogs, and having them carry something, even a water bottle on each side (make sure the weight is equal on both sides). Said tv personality says a dog can carry up to 7% of his own weight safely. I've been wanting to get one for Annie for a long time now, but they cost upwards of $60.00 or more in the U.S.
I saw this at Petco earlier today, http://www.petco.com/product/109984/Bis ... FC_Apparel
To me it seemed pretty durable and relatively on the cheap side
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

It's always me who rains on the parade :( sorry guys.

I worked ten years or so as a physiotherapist (physical therapist to our USA readers)

I've done a fair bit with horses, and I know some of you have. Think how a saddle is made with a tree to even out the weight on a horse's back so that it doesn't touch the spine.

Think how a dog's back is a different shape and way more supple and bendy than a horse's

Think where the weight in those panniers is actually being carried by the dog

Think how a badly-balanced load affects you when you are trying to carry one.

I wouldn't do it - sounds cute, sounds helpful, sounds fun - but no-one with an ounce of anatomical knowledge would recommend it.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Lauram

Post by Lauram »

This is the one i looked at http://www.petsathome.com/shop/3-peaks- ... ness-30817

I was a bit concerned that Po being a lurcher it wouldn't fit because they look made for chunky dogs.

Think I may be the 'pack horse' for sometime :(

He would probably buck it off and rip it up anyway :lol: or simply run off with all the food. That would be his thing.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

You've got a point, Nettle. I know from my limited study of Native American History/Culture, they did use dogs as pack animals, but rather than having "bags" hanging off the sides of the dog, they wrapped their belongings up in a neat little bundle and then secured it on the dog's back with leather ties. I might be able to use that idea, and for a lot less than $60.00. :idea:
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Fundog wrote:A well known doggy behavior television personality advocates packs for dogs, and having them carry something, even a water bottle on each side (make sure the weight is equal on both sides). Said tv personality says a dog can carry up to 7% of his own weight safely. I've been wanting to get one for Annie for a long time now, but they cost upwards of $60.00 or more in the U.S.
He was telling owners to use them to reduce the amount of exercise they give their dogs, if they carry weight they have to work harder and don't need so much exercise. He also tells owners to put their dogs on treadmills to exercise them, how boring is that for a dog?

Personally I have never liked them, like them even less now I have seen dogs with them on, the dogs can't move as well as they can normally because the bags either side stops them, they can't twist and turn the same which can cause a lot of problems with their muscles. I one saw a small Yorkie with one on, the bag was bigger than he was. :cry: So many people just go with fashion, if a well known person uses it they will no matter what the cost is, they have to have the same. Yes it is nice to have lovely collars, coats etc on our dogs if they need them, but there is nothing nicer that a dog with a lovely shiny coat in good condition.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

Nettle - that is exactly what I have always thought about them as well, and have also compared them to saddles. I wouldnt put one on my dog as would be worried about the amount of pressure on his spine.
easilyconfused

Post by easilyconfused »

http://www.ruffwear.com/ supplies search and rescue dogs in the uk. They have a connected water bladder on each side of their pack that automatically balance the load when water is drawn from it. They are about the only packs i'd recommend.