Words my dog knows

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

JudyN

Re: Words my dog knows

Post by JudyN »

I know exactly what you mean, Minkee - I'll chat to Jasper, suggest he does something in words I haven't taught him, and often as not, he does it. Or react as if he understood what I said, which isn't always the same thing :lol: And have you ever tried to plan an activity with your OH and not have your dog prick their ears up and be on the alert, knowing that something's going to happen? Can't be done :lol: I'm sure they rely on intonation, context, body language, and a lot more we're not aware of.

I spent ages trying to teach Jasper 'close' (like 'heel', but not so glued on) and got nowhere, but one day discovered he knew what 'walk nicely' meant. I'm sure I didn't use it that often!
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

Oh no, wait and stay are completely different things!! It's like that at our class too :roll: I put up with a lot of it to try and get him to be less excited by dogs (and because I resent paying for a course and not going) but I'm not sure it's working.

I do chat to Laufey but I think he's a bit young for conversation yet - to get him to do something I do need key words at the minute
minkee

Post by minkee »

I sort of want to go back to that place, and ace everything they do (she was ~18months old then, 4years now) using TREATS OMG and words that are COMPLETELY WRONG and ace it and blow their tiny little minds. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: "Stay" for a heel, "Come" for a stay and "WHERE ARE YOU PACK LEADER??" for come :lol:
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

minkee wrote:I sort of want to go back to that place, and ace everything they do (she was ~18months old then, 4years now) using TREATS OMG and words that are COMPLETELY WRONG and ace it and blow their tiny little minds. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: "Stay" for a heel, "Come" for a stay and "WHERE ARE YOU PACK LEADER??" for come :lol:
:lol: :lol: that would be brilliant!! Unfortunately I'm pretty sure Laufey will never get to that point but I can always dream.
Sanna

Post by Sanna »

minkee wrote:I sort of want to go back to that place, and ace everything they do (she was ~18months old then, 4years now) using TREATS OMG and words that are COMPLETELY WRONG and ace it and blow their tiny little minds. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: "Stay" for a heel, "Come" for a stay and "WHERE ARE YOU PACK LEADER??" for come :lol:
Oh minkee please pleeeeeeease do it! That would be beyond awesome :lol: :lol: :lol:
minkee

Post by minkee »

haha I'm afraid I don't have the guts :lol: Or the patience to re-teach the words :oops: It would be fun though :D

Scout just caught the boys out today with relation to this thread. They were both sat outside having drunk their coffees, and Scout was hanging around with them looking like she was waiting for them to finish. I said "I can't believe you two, letting Scout finish off your cups."

D replied "I don't let Scout drink coffee!" at which word she jumped up onto the the garden bench and stuck her face in his (empty) mug :lol:
gwd

Post by gwd »

delladooo wrote:Oh no, wait and stay are completely different things!! It's like that at our class too :roll:
I mos def use wait and stay for different things. Wait is something that my gang know I'm going to release them from at a distance. For example, in agility, we use wait at the start line and I may be several obstacles down the course before I give the 'ok' to release. With 'wait' they're ampted and know they're going to propel themselves at the merest hint of a release. Their little butts might even be an inch or so above the ground and tails will be vibrating! 'stay' otoh, means park yerself and relax as you're not getting up until I come back to release you.
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

gwd wrote: I most def use wait and stay for different things.
I agree they should be different things and that's the distinction I would make too but I think they're more alike than the class made them out to be - especially because laufey knows one but not really the other
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

OH never grasped the difference between wait & stay at training classes and I decided if he couldn't understand it, Jasper didn't stand a chance :lol:

I think the point is, it depends on your own particular circumstances and requirements. I use wait a lot, for anything from stopping on walks when I want to catch up and put his lead on (he's pretty good about this but has decided it's OK for him to wander to the side of the path and sniff while he's waiting) to telling him to hold still and man up while I'm trying to remove an awkward tick, or to keep calm and stop grabbing me when I'm putting his harness on. I don't often have a use for stay, so though he obeys, it might be more my manner and raised finger he responds to.

Thinking some more, a spaniel who knows it's nearly time to do something but not quite is very different to a lurcher who knows it's nearly time to do something but not quite - the spaniel will be buzzing with energy and ready to go the moment you open your mouth to say OK, but many lurchers would be flat out with their eyes shut and possibly even snoring, so the relevance of the different commands is different.

I suppose it's easier for the trainers if they know everyone's using the same words for the same things, but it might not always be the best solution for the owners.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
minkee

Post by minkee »

My point was really that I could have been saying 'Fish Fingers' and so long as she did what I / they wanted it shouldn't matter! To them it seemed to matter Very Much.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

While we are each at liberty to use words, sounds, signals, whatever suits, for anyone interested, the difference is:

"Wait" means remain in place - I am about to give you another command, so be ready.

"Stay" means remain there no matter what - because I will come back to you and then release you from your place.

For a working dog, these distinctions are vital. For a pet dog, they are helpful but not essential.

And yes- 'fish fingers' would do just as well for one of them :lol:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

Nettle wrote:While we are each at liberty to use words, sounds, signals, whatever suits, for anyone interested, the difference is:

"Wait" means remain in place - I am about to give you another command, so be ready.

"Stay" means remain there no matter what - because I will come back to you and then release you from your place.

For a working dog, these distinctions are vital. For a pet dog, they are helpful but not essential.

And yes- 'fish fingers' would do just as well for one of them :lol:
Interesting topic. Thanks for the differentiation.

With Sandy, I use wait when he gets ahead, And I need to catch up.
I also use it when we are going to cross the street. He will wait until I say "okay", and we cross.

He has also learned that when we see a dog or someone who distracts him, I will take him in the opposite direction and say, "Let's Go" and start running opposite the distraction. I started training that with extra yummy treats, but now he does it automatically without needing a food treat reward, just petting and "good boy" works now.

I know I use "stay" the wrong way.
With Sandy, I use "stay close" instead of "heel" and worka well. (It was the suggestion if our first trainer.)

We never taught him to stay in position without moving or being released. So, I guess, I would need a different word if I were to teach hin to do that.

Go "night night" he knows means to go to his bed.
He also knows "go bye, bye". We also use it when he sees a dog outside who has disappeared or dog on TV, and we change the channel. Then we say "doggie went bye, bye".

And for Shabbat wvening after we do the candle lighting and prayers over wine (grape juice) and our challah bread. He knows he will get a biscuit treat. He will sit for me while I hold his treat and say the blessing for bread. As soon as I say, "amen" he jumps for the biscuit. :D

He also knows "finished" which we use when he has finished his food. "Finish" means he gets a treat.

Of course, he knows potty, pee, and pooh. If he gets our attention and ask if he needs to go potty, he will head to the door.

That is my two cents, but, it is interesting what words he picks up. By the way, his previous owners who took him to the shelter were Mexican, and he used to know the word for sit in Spanish. A friend of mine (dog since deceased) trained her dog in Hebrew. I am trying to teach him Hebrew for good dog which is "kelev tov". :D

Diane
Currently still in Portland, Maine for the night and getting ready to go back to our Maine house tomorrow.
Sandy, Chihuahua mix b. 12/20/09