Sandy has me at the end of my rope-HELP!

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Sweetie's Human

Re: Sandy has me at the end of my rope-HELP!

Post by Sweetie's Human »

AND nobody has a 'perfect' or 'normal' dog. Even those who get little puppies to raise from scratch struggle with various issues. Those of us who get an older dog who's had a hard time definitely won't get 'normal' (IMO), but we can work with what we've got and most issues can be greatly improved, some even completely resolved. But even if you can initially implement some of Minkee's management solutions you'll be streets ahead of where you are now. From that point, any long term training-based improvements to desensitise him will be icing on the cake.

We don't have this particular problem with Sweetie, but we certainly have a few others that we'll probably always be working on to some degree. In the meantime we do our best to manage them. It's not perfect, but it works. You're not alone.
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

Thsnks to everyone for your words of confidence and support.

Sweeties Human, I appreciate what you said about even puppies have their own issues. And as Nettle mentioned we do need to work with the dog in front of us.

gwd, thanks for the link and if you with all your experience with puppies, dogs, and training have a similar problem, it really makes me feel better. Yes, as OH has said the marketing people have figured out that animals, especially cute ones sell everything.
I laugh at the commercial for Xfinity where the guy is leaving the house and giving his dog the remote.

The funny thing is that Sandy has figured out that the remote is "the magic wand" that makes the animals appear and disappear. He has even tried pushing the remote buttons. :lol:

But, the remote doesn't always do it. I have changed five channels in a row and each on either had a commercial or TV show with an animal on each channel.

I checked the link and many ideas are similar to those Minkee suggested. Interestingly, I have one of those headsets that works with an infrared signal hooked into the TV in the bedroom so I can watch TV when my husband goes to bed early for the gym, and I want to watch something later in the evening. But, it only came with one headset, so I will see if I can find one with two headsets. I love that they have ear mufflers. If only Sandy would wear it as it would help solve the problem for the coming 4th of July fireworks! But, he even tries to remove his harness and any jackets we try to put on him. :lol:

And, I had to laugh about the tupperware of yummy treats. I tried keeping then in a baggie in my pocket only to have Sandy nearly tear my jeans pocket off as he got the baggie out and had a field day of a jackpot all over the floor. Granted, he didn't even look at the TV, at least until all the treats were gone. :lol: :lol:

Thanks for all the support. At least, I know that I am not alone with all of you helping and that we all have issues to deal with. Now, to take Sandy out to potty.
)))HUGS((((
Diane
Sandy, Chihuahua mix b. 12/20/09
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

Postcrript:

Just took Sandy out for his nighttime potty. After coming in, he got his treat, but instead of going to bed, he came to see what I was doing in the kitchen.

Well, next think I knew, I saw him chewing and chewing, so I knew it wasn't food. :shock:
So, I just stood and watched him. I did as was suggested and waited. I figured he would swallow it or spit it out.
Sandy suddenly spit it out (piece of paper from one of those bag ties. I picked up while praising him "good drop it, good drop it" and ran and bourght out a nice chunk of chicken breast to treat him while continuing to praise him. :D :D

It took a while to get him back to bed, but I left the room, changed my clothes, and when I returned and he was in bed.

So, I just had to add this before going to sleep myself. :D
Thanks for your help. :D :D
Diane
Sweetie's Human

Post by Sweetie's Human »

Well done both of you. I know it's glib to say "just relax" but it does help (in most cases!).

Ps - Sweetie's treats always go in my left pocket. Guess where she puts her nose every time I sit down! And if I'm wearing pants with no pockets, she still sniffs my left hip :lol:
minkee

Post by minkee »

I don't know where you are with teaching your 'Drop' Diane, but this is my all time favourite video that shows a great way to teach it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndTiVOCNY4M&feature=kp

There is a dog on screen, but little or no barking throughout.

It's ten minutes long, but worth watching all the way through for a really good reminder on all the important parts of teaching a 'drop'. So make yourself a cup of tea (or coffee!) when you've got some time and sit down and have a good watch.

The best thing, I think, is that he starts teaching it when the dog has NOTHING in its mouth! That's counter-intuitive, but really BRILLIANT I think. How can you get into conflict over something that's not there? Well the answer is, you can't! But you CAN teach some great foundations for a really great 'drop'. The second part that's important is having the dog think that having your hand around is a good thing, and then also that even if you ask for a 'Drop' it doesn't mean that you are ALWAYS going to take his 'precious' away. Sometimes it just means 'drop it for a minute then you can pick it up again'. That way he doesn't have to weigh up which is more important to him, chicken or 'precious'?

Hope it helps!
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

Minkee

It sounds interesting. How to get a dog to drop something when it doesnt have anything. Intriguing. :D

I will check it out. And thanks for the tips on the TV animals. :mrgreen:

Diane
ScarletSci

Post by ScarletSci »

Just bumping to ask how you guys are getting on Diane? Have been thinking of you all, and hoping things are going better. How are you feeling now? :)