Don't stroke me!

First-time users can introduce themselves to the Positively community here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Marratxi

Don't stroke me!

Post by Marratxi »

I have terrier, parson Jack Russell I rescued her five years ago and we have worked through loads of issues, one which still remains is this, she is quite cute and guest / visitors go to stroke her she will in the main nip them, I know she was miss treated in her earlier life and could never be trusted around children.

I learned of her past about a month after she joined us. I usually ask people not to touch her, but this isn't the answer? the first time I became aware of her fear of contact/ children / people was one week after I got her, at this point I knew nothing of her past, she was outside of a shop with a friend if mine waiting for me and two children approached her, she snapped and snarled at them, nothing else happened as my friend reacted in time..

I try to relax when we have friends over as I know my anxiety is transferred to her but it's really difficult, I don't know wether to say nothing and see what happens or wether to pre warn people.
Ari_RR

Re: Don't stroke me!

Post by Ari_RR »

I would pre warn people.. "don't touch her" seems very reasonable, although "she can bite your finger off if you touch her" might be more effective.

In fact - I have no sympathy for people (ok, except children, they just don't know any better) who feel free to just come over, touch and stroke someone else's dog.

"Darn, i had a stressful day today. There is a dog at the corner, let me grab it and squeeze it, maybe i will feel better." :twisted:

My dog doesn't like strangers near him, never mind them touching him.. I find nothing wrong with that. I don't like strangers in my personal space, and I wouldn't respond positively to a strange person touching me either.

So, i would pre warn, and I would not feel any guilt in doing so.

On the flip side, I would see how to teach the dog to be a bit more tolerant.. There may be some situation where you can't control, where people will be close, and you don't actually want anyone to get hurt. But also important to reduce stress on her caused by people who get too close.

And those people whom you want her to accept (friends, family) - let her express interest first, be patient, take it slow and build a relationship.