I dug myself a hole.

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shalista

I dug myself a hole.

Post by Shalista »

So as I've posted in other threads about Bax and his heat intolerance. I may have mentioned that i thought it was sweet how he'd sack out in the sun mid walk. It is no longer sweet. We walked twenty feet this morning in pursuit of a good poo spot and then we were going to go back inside. Instead Bax plumped himself in the grass panting. He would not be moved for love or money. I confess i even tried tugging him a bit to get him moving. He slid across the grass but wouldn't get up. I dropped the leash and called to him. nothing. i ran away from him clapping and calling. nothing. I went all the way back to the house and opened the door. he didn't even look up. Tips for moving my sun bathing beauty?

EDIT: title of this thread is because this is at least partially my fault. When he first started doing this i thought it was sweet and I'd lay next to him in the grass and give him lots of pets and we'd sunbathe together. Lesson learned :roll:
Last edited by Shalista on Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
delladooo

Re: I dug myself a hole.

Post by delladooo »

Could you try a cooling coat to keep him cooler and therefore keep moving? I don't know if they're available across the pond as they're a local made thing but Easidri are brilliant and I've just bought one for Laufey for at agility shows. I know there's also other brands available which are also meant to be really good
Erica

Post by Erica »

Here I know Ruffwear makes one. I've seen a couple other brands at our locally owned pet store.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Is it a problem if he only walks 40 feet in total per walk? Does it cause an issue with toileting? This may be a silly question, but do you have air conditioning indoors? If he's comfortable indoors, I'd give him the exercise he needs inside and accept that you're not going to be able to walk him any significant distance. I'm not too bad in the heat, but I'd be doing pretty much the same, and OH and the DSs would refuse to leave the house at all :lol:

Alternatively, walk him very early or late at night. Or drive him somewhere he can splash/paddle/swim in water, if that works for you & him.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

unfortunately this isn't an exercise issue =( it's a pottying issue. He likes to wander and sniff a bit before pooing and he won't go any distance at all now. I'm not quite so confident in his potty training right now to just say "he'll hold it until he really can't anymore." in my mind it's more likely that he'll poo inside where its cooler and more comfortable. his room is air-conditioned (though not always) and its just generally cooler inside. (huge old farmhouse with a really nice old cellar that keeps things cool) he hasn't pooed inside to be fair but... he also hasn't pooed outside in a few days either
Erica

Post by Erica »

Depending on how safe the area is, could you get up early or walk him late at night when it's cooler? I know there's a huge difference here between 7AM and 10AM even...usually about 10*F, like 74 to 84 kind of thing.

Is he as active inside as he usually is? No chance of his having an injured paw or something?
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

Oh for sure... tbh i prolly walk him more than he needs to? he'll be fine all day when i'm at school if i just walk him morning and then again when i get home but if i'm home all day with him I'll take him out 4 or 5 extra times JUST to be sure. i still dont 100% trust bax's potty training (it's been like 3 months since he's had an accident) maybe I'm just being paranoid... maybe i could just take him out morning and evening.....
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Shalista wrote: he also hasn't pooed outside in a few days either

Has he still not pooed? Do you think he might have a problem? "A few days" without a poo is not healthy, unless he isn't eating either....or it's happening indoors and you haven't found it yet :?

My raw-fed dogs poo twice a day, so if you do a really early longish walk in the morning and a walk in the evening, lunchtime can be a go out and see if he needs to - and if he flops, just wait with him. Take a book. :)
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

Has he still not pooed? Do you think he might have a problem? "A few days" without a poo is not healthy, unless he isn't eating either....or it's happening indoors and you haven't found it yet :?
yeah he keeps skipping days, the longest was 4. he's not straining or squatting but (when he doesnt flop) i can walk him a mile and half and he won't even try. when he does poo there's no additional straining and while it's a bit wetter than usual it looks normal. since i switched him to pork he's averaged 1-2 days between poos.