excitable pups

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

thenerdycyclist

excitable pups

Post by thenerdycyclist »

Greetings everyone. It's been a while since I've posted; I'm a university student and I'm undergoing the torture known as finals week. (yay.)

Anyway, I had a question.

Last night I decided to stay at my boyfriend's house. I commute from half an hour away to go to classes, but I had a final at 8:00 this morning. I thought that it'd be a good idea to stay at his house since he lives only ten minutes away from where we go to school and I'm not much of a morning person.

I live in Kansas, and sometimes it gets horribly windy. Last night the winds were gusting up to 30 mph. This made a very odd assortment of noises outside, various knocking and treelimbs hitting the top of their house.

This drove the three family dogs mad. At each little knock or noise outside they'd go into hysteria, barking and wailing. This kept me awake and left me very, very tired for my final.

How can this habit be corrected? Would you use the clicker training or is there something else we should do since the thing that irritated them so wasn't a visual but rather an auditory stimulant?