Never ending play

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

manda.sue

Never ending play

Post by manda.sue »

My pup just turned a year old a couple of weeks ago. He is an australian shepard mix and just never seems to tire out. He gets walked every day, chases snowballs, sleds downhill with me, and chases bubbles. Yet when we come inside, all he wants is to play with his squeaker. Overall, I can deal with his energy and hyperness but it's what he does with the squeaker I need help with. He insists on squeaking the darn toy on people's laps, jumping on the couch with it, dropping it on people, and throwing it at people. He is allowed on the furniture (I have trained him to only come up when called and get down when he is told "floor"). Yet, when it comes to the squeaker, everything else goes out the window. PLEASE give me advice. I'm afraid all my company is running out of patience.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Whenever my pets have had a toy we found to be annoying, we made the toy mysteriously disappear. Even now, my dog has something she loves, but it makes a lot of noise. Due to odd/differing work-sleep schedules, this toy isn't out very often-- it is only brought out when everyone is awake, and nobody is trying to watch tv or listen to music. I suggest you put the squeaky toy away, and only bring it out on your terms, that is, when you are in the mood to play with/listen to it.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Take the squeak out.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Huckleberry

Post by Huckleberry »

First you are dealing with a dog that is at least half, bred to work, so make sure she is getting alot of exercise, both physically and mentally. A walk in the neighborhood, doesnt cut it for my Mini Aussie, he needs to run daily as well as short training sessions. He is also a toy addict, the noiser the better, it doesnt bother me if he is squeaking his toy, but if he starts dropping it on my head, when Im laying on the couch, or in my lap, I tell him, that will do and make him take his toy, over there------------>, then dont pay attention to him with it again, if he doesnt get the message that I dont want to play, I take the toy away and tell him, "all gone". He hates "all gone" and will sulk, with a heavy sigh. I walk away, he never forgets, but he accepts it. You need to play on your terms, not hers, if you dont want to play and she is not willing to play on her own, then take the toy away. My Mini Aussie is very energetic and high drive, he has to have a job to do, if you dont give him one, he makes up his own, herding flies, his toys, the other dogs and it gets the other dogs annoyed. I love a dog like this and bought him because of it, so I could have a really fun dog for dog sports. He loves frisbie and agility and I have no doubt he would do dock jumping as he jumps off the edge of the pool, as well as I want to try herding. Get your dog into a dog sport(I think you mentioned agility in your PM), these dogs excel at it! Have fun and good luck.
Rhonda
&
Huck-Miniature Australian Shepherd
Wyatt-JRT
Callie-All American
www.freewebs.com/jacksrfun/homepage.htm
manda.sue

thank you

Post by manda.sue »

You all have given me some great ideas. I guess I just never thought he would understand me taking it away from him as punishment for pestering people. I will definitely give it a try as it is bothersome to have a squeaker squeaked on your head every five minutes. :lol: