Home made training treats

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

vanheerden100

Home made training treats

Post by vanheerden100 »

Ok, it stinks, but they will do anything for it!

PILCHARD CAKE

mix up a large tin of pilchards in tomato sauce, with an egg and flour to stiffen, then bake until it is a firm cake and cut into small pieces.

My dogs (who do agility and obedience class) will do anything for it, and it has no preservatives or un-nessary chemicals fats in it. I keep it in the deep freeze and defrost just the amount i need to stop it going off.

Anyone know of any other home made recipes?
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Yeah, I got one, it's an oatmeal custard that I freeze into "pupsicles."

1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
1 cup water, 1/2 cup milk or yogurt
2 eggs, beaten before adding
1/4 cup peanut butter

Stir all together as best as you can in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 5-7 minutes, stirring after just two minutes to get the peanut butter blended in better.

It should not be "runny" at all-- if it is, give it a couple more minutes in the microwave. When it is done, spoon it into kongs or other objects that are freezer safe, and serve frozen.

Another option if you don't have kongs, is to spray the insides of some plastic cups with non-stick spray, or coat with olive oil, and spoon the product into those. Before serving, dump the frozen custard out of the cup (it should come out easily with a firm "thump" on the counter), so the dogs don't have the plastic cup.

It's been a real hit with my girls!
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Oh-- this is probably obvious by now, but I forgot to mention: The frozen custards are not really "training" treats, since they are so big-- they are just snacks-- I like to give them after a vigorous walk, or play/training session, to help them wind down and leave me alone for a bit. :D
manda.sue

Post by manda.sue »

Ok. The oatmeal snack even sounds yummy to me, but the pilchard cake, yuck! That means my dog will definitely love it! :lol: Unfortunately, I am by no means a cook. :oops: Do you have specific measurements for the cake, Vanheerden? That would be great! Oh I'm so excited.
vanheerden100

Post by vanheerden100 »

You are right the pilchard cake is a yuck, but such a hit with the dogs.

I adapted it from the way i make liver cake, and bacause the size of liver varies, as do the cans of pilchard i guess the measurements!!!!!! (no help!)

But, i use a standard 425g can of pilchards in tomato sauce, mashed up with 1 egg. The flour is probably about a cup (self raising flour i find is better - but doesn't matter) but add the flour slowly and the mixture should be like thick porridge consistancy. If you turn this out onto greased proof paper or baking sheet, about 1 cm thick. I cook for about 20 mins on gas mark 6/7 (i think this is about 180 degrees) until it is firm on the top. you don't need to do this, but i then cut it into small pieces while still warm and then put back in the oven (this seals the edges and makes them easier to handle.)
Because there are no preservatives they are great with sensitive tummys, but they don't last long, i freeze mine, take oyt just what i need at a time - this also stops the fishy smell from developing.

Good Luck!

ps. i said the pilchard cake was yuck - but my husband loves it - save some for the dogs!