Please HELP!! Training WITHOUT treats???

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

angieamor

Please HELP!! Training WITHOUT treats???

Post by angieamor »

I'm a new owner of an 6 month old American Staffordshire Terrier named Bianca :)

I had a dog before when I was younger, but she wasn't trained and was put down fairly young because she had mange (she was given to us by an acquaintance that way). So it's pretty safe to say that I don't have much experience with being a pet owner.

So far Bianca is great, I know her breed has a bad reputation but I want to become the best owner/leader I can for her. I would like to start obedience training, but I DO NOT want to use treats in the process. I'm having a hard time finding any books or other materials to lead me in the right direction.

Would you guys please recommend any books that I can buy that will help me with this? I understand treats will get faster results, but I don't wanna stuff my puppy's face with treats, and then when she's not hungry, not listen to a word I say.

Thanks in advance.
emmabeth

Re: Please HELP!! Training WITHOUT treats???

Post by emmabeth »

You have to use whatever your dog finds the most rewarding, or it won't work.

Deciding you won't use a potential reward because you don't want to is going to be as useful and effective as your employer deciding he's goin to pay you with beans instead of money, because money makes people greedy.

You just would'nt work for that guy!

By all means, find other things to use as a reward but if you misuse rewards no matter WHAT they are, you wil create a dog dependant on them and dependant on direct bribery - that can happen with any reward not just treats.

i think you have got the wrong idea about using food rewards - the level of bribery is a sliding scale, you may start OUT with it being outright, blatant, shameless bribery - just as you might get a child to comply with your wishes by offering an almost immediate cash reward 'clean my car and you can have this $5'.

That does not mean that when that child is 30 years old, he will only work for money waved under his nose now does it? The vast majority of us get the hang of being paid immediately, then at the end of the day, then weekly, then monthly etc etc.

It is up to you to teach the dog that rewards come later, not immediately, not waved under their nose, without bribery etc etc - and you do so by slowly phasing it out AND by mixing up the quality and quantity of the treats, so that your dog is always guessing as to what shes going to get, will it be a peice of stinky cheese or will it just be kibble? Will it be a big mouthful of something tasty or just a little bit...

You teach your dog to gamble, to keep trying because she never knows when shes goin to hit the jackpot. You cannot do that if you are not using the reward your dog likes, no moe than I will get you to work hard for ME all day long, if i only pay you with beans.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
angieamor

Post by angieamor »

That makes sense. I never really thought about it that way. Thanks.

Like I said, I'm new to this all, so I know there is a lot that I can learn.

Any reading materials you can recommend to get me started? I get overwhelmed by the internet sometimes...lol There's just so many options I don't wanna make a wrong choice.
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

Well said Emmabeth!

When I got Dylan my parents had the same view of treat based training....they felt that if you had no treats or wanted to phase them out the dog woukdnt do what you asked. But that soon changed! I have had Dylan just over a year, and yes do still take treats with me on walks, and use as rewards when we are at agility, but I dont use them as much or as frequently now and he does everything asked! The thing is that Dylan is very food orientated so it is a great way of him working. I am now (for a bit of fun) teaching him little tricks usuing the clicker and treats....we are currently doing 'take a bow' and when I pick the clicker and treats up he cant wait to do what I want! Its so cute to see his little face!

But I also find on walks that something that is just as high a reward, if not higher, for him, is a specific squaky ball toy I only take out on walks.....he doesnt have it at home. I whistle and he comes straight back in antiticaption he will get a game with the ball.

So yes, dont discount food treats as they may be just the thing that motivates your dog!
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Ok :)

Right, read through this forum for a start, especially the articles section.

For specific training, clicker training is good stuff and we have a thread on that in the articles section, then also go to http://www.clickertraining.com - clicker training if you dont know, is what you would use to teach a new behaviour, and proof that behaviour in a number of locations until the dog generalises that 'this command' means the same thing wherever it is said, no matter waht else is going on at the time. That takes time and so the click sound ALWAYS means a treat isa bout to be given.

This totally does NOT mean you will always always have to wave a treat (or even a clicker) at your dog to repeat the same behaviours, just like you might well learn A B C or 5 x table with gold stars from your teacher, you are not going to be correcting spelling mistakes in a job as a secretary, or handing out the correct change in a store and STILL getting gold stars...

That said, 'salary' is still important, we wouldn't work without it (and even people who volunteer in unpaid positions get 'something' outta what they do, even if its just the feel good factor!) so your dog does still need to hope and desire for a reward, merely the fact that the action pleases you is NOT going to cut it with very many breeds at all (outside the border collie, pretty much none!) certainly NOT an independant and sharp minded terrier type! They will always think 'well hey, w hats in this for ME'.

So right now your dog is a pup and shes still learning most things - you will be carrying treats around with you for a while yet! But mix them up, get a range of treats and make them tiny, and also remember to reduce her food ration each day by the amount of treats shes had so she doesnt get fat.

Your stages of training need to be - capture the behaviour, (so shes doing it on purpose to earn the treats she kjnows you have), then give that behaviour a name (put it on cue so you can ask for it), then proof that behaviour in various locations.

This last part is the clever bit, when you reckon she knows a cue and behaviour in a location then you vary the value of the reward, the amount of reward and also how many times shes got to do something to get the reward. Judge this carefully because if you ask too much she will swtich off and not want to know. If you are using the clicker then if you click you HAVE to give a reward, so you might build up to two behaviours befor eyou click and treat , or three or just one, or five or........ and so on.

When you move to a new location, you want to make the reward more obvious again, so say she can do something really well in the house but not so good outdoors, then in the house you can vary the rewards, outdoors you want to go back a step and make it easier for her to get right so the rewards are more valuable and more obvious until she aces that class..

Skipping ahead to where shes 18months old, and pretty much kjnows everything, then you have the rewards really random, and she never knows when shes gonna get one, or how good its gonna be - it might be a game sometimes or a fuss or just verbal praise or it might be a bit of cheese or a kibble - keepin them guessing WHEN they know what they are doingmakes them work harder.

So, you will always need to reward your dog, but it neednt be for every tiny little thing once htey know what you are asking of them, and it neednt always be food, and it neednt be outright bribery either.

Check out Dont Shoot The Dog by Karen Pryor, Control Unleashed by Leslie McDevitt, anything by Patricia McConnel and also anything by Jean Donaldson - theres a lot of other good authors too but my mind is currently a blank so I am sure the others will ahve some suggestions for you.
angieamor

Post by angieamor »

Thank you so much for all your input!

I'm really taking it all in and have had a very quick change of heart...lol.
Julz

Post by Julz »

I dont think that using treats is any better to using your dogs favourite toy or using touch as a good reward.. Dogs main aim is to make thier people happy. As long as the reward is given in a good positive way then the dog will get the idea that what it's just done is a good thing. Any reward can consist of touch (a quick touch on the head) together with a "good boy/girl" a click (clicker training) the use of thier favourite toy (kept solely for this reason - dog has to do something good in order to get the reward)

also teaching your dog to the first command is a must.. no point in saying.. tara - sit...sit.....sit.....sit..... then dog sits on the fourth sit... if it was any other command and depending on the senario the dog could then be in trouble with a fast car or something... Dog must learn to sit/stay/wait etc on the first command, if it does not execute the command, then you must put the dog in the required position, you can repeat the word so it learns what it must do when it hears that word. then give the reward.. dog will learn that to sit/down.etc is a good thing and will want to do it again for you. Like i said the reward can be anything you choose, be it food, a touch/tickle on the top of the head, a click with a clicker, anything that generally doenst encourage excitement. the whole point of obidience is for the dog to be calm and collected and to do as it is told, in a nice way ofcourse.
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

Dogs main aim is to make thier people happy.
Well I guess the vast majority of dogs never got this memo then.

As for treats not being better than the dogs toy or petting, well...depends what the dog finds rewarding. It's no use trying to reward my dog with a toy because he simply couldn't care less about them. My border collie mix would have done backflips for a squeaky toy or taste of cinnamon yet didn't want to be touched. Why is using treats any different to using toys or touch? A reward is a reward.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Mmm..

A few points to clarify there Julz - In my experience and that of a great many others, dogs do not generally nor automatically do things 'because it pleases us' - if they did this forum would not be here and dog trainers would have no business.

SOME dogs do find our praise rewarding beyond belief, those dogs are the breeds that have been manipulated very heavily genetically to work that way and off the top of my head I can only think of Border Collies.... the other dogs who do this do so because a kind word is ALL they ever get, the rest of the time they get ignored or they get hit/yelled at - again thats very very common amongst working collies and other working breeds raised by people who do things the way their dad did them and have never questioned or looked any further. A kind word to these dogs is the best thing in their world because there IS nothing else, and it also is a very relevant point that the jobs these dogsa re doing is work they enjoy very much, herding, killing things, chasing things etc etc.

For the rest of the canine world, 'because it pleases us' just doesnt cut it and it wont do. Finding the reward the dog likes, loves, prizes above all else is the key.

Now there is nothign to say that has to be food, for some it could be a ball or another toy, for some it might be a scratch in a certain place or a game, for some it may be the opportunity to do a particular behaviour (one of mine is rewarded by being able to 'steal' something - he does not know the 'something' is left there on purpose!), for instance Nettles dogs are rewarded for complying with her because she sets up situations where they can then work - do as Nettle says, get to work.

But to say that dogs will and to expect that they will work because it pleases us that they do so is wrong and its unrealistic and it causes dogs and their owners many many hours of heartache and frustrationa nd confusion.

The click of the clicker is NOT the reward, it is a marker, it pinpoints the correct behaviour, the split second the dogs butt hits the ground for a sit for example, and tells teh dog 'a treat is coming'. If that click is not associated with a treat it means nothing. If it is but then treats cease to be given, it reverts to meaning nothing. It never ever becomes the reward itself.

Finally (and I do hate to pick your post apart but I need to.. :( sorry)..... training a sit, yes, using the command over and over and over will teach the dog to sit on the fourth, fifth, nth command.... but forcing the dog physically into the sit will not teach the dog to offer you a sit, it teaches the dog to obey you to avoid force. That is NOT the same thing as understanding that 'sit = put your butt on the ground' at all. It becomes 'sit = avoid pressure on your hindquarters', and whilst that might seem a pedantic and picky difference to point out here it IS important.

If you teach the sit by capturing the behaviour whether you capture it by luring with a treat initially or not, and THEN once the dog is OFFERING that behaviour (because its dawned on him that you will reward it) you pair that action with a word/hand signal, then the cue means what you wanted it to mean.

If you then immediately assume that because sthe dog can do this in a quiet kitchen, he can do it anywhere and you immediately head off to a busy park and start yelling 'sit' at him, you will fail because context is super important to dogs. He doesnt fully understand the command until its proofed in a variety of locations and with a variety of levels of distraction, so if you have to say 'sit sit sit' at your dog, he DOESNT understand sit at all in that location and you have not trained it properly, so you go back to the start and do over, not force his butt to the ground with your hand!

I will never understand (and this is a general thing not aimed at you Julz) why people will cite the idea that reward training is only any good if you have a reward on you..... but will in almost the same breathe use an example of force training, but you wont ALWAYS be able to force that sit with your hand, or drag the dog into a recall with a leash, or yank the dog back into a heel position.... Unless you brain wash the dog to fear you at all times and all distances, there will come a time when the dog realises you actually cannot force these things and when that happens you get a dog who does as hes told when he must, ie you can force the issue...... and b*ggers off and does as he pleases when you cant.

Conversely, the dog who is gambling on there being a reward maybe, this time, huh huh is there is there? ..... has no vested interest in figuring out when you can or cannot enforce something physically, hes way too busy working out when hes gonna get a traet and what is it hes got to do to get it. (and even MORE so with clicker trained dogs used to free shaping at random times during the day/week because they NEVER know when you will click and capture a behaviour you like and reward them so they are ALWAYS looking for ways to earn that reward, eager and keen!)
Julz

Post by Julz »

emmabeth wrote:Mmm..

A few points to clarify there Julz - In my experience........
yes quite.... in YOUR experience.... I wasnt using your experience.. I was using mine :)
emmabeth wrote:Finally (and I do hate to pick your post apart but I need to..

No you dont....

As for "forcing" the dog to sit.... where did I say that? simply gently putting the dog/pup into a sit or down position is not forceful, it doesnt hurt it doesnt cause the dog to scream, howl or whatever.... you get down to the dogs level and you show it the position you want it to go into.

This is how we do it at the training club i go to, it works and no dog is harmed while doing it.. How can that be a bad thing? If it was bad and owners didnt like it ( even though it worked... would they come back)

Im not going to stick around here if i'm constantly going to have my posts picked to pieces by you. OP (Original Poster) asked for ways to train without using treats, for all you know there may have been a good reason for not using treats... I dont treat my dog with food because she has an allergy and all treats on the market for this purpose all contain cereal which she cant have.

A reward is a reward in whatever form you choose to give it..... it does not need to be food related, but it should be something that can be given quickly and as always timing is important if it is to be of any effect.
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

I dont treat my dog with food because she has an allergy and all treats on the market for this purpose all contain cereal which she cant have.
Actually, they don't. My dog can't have cereals either. Treats without them are few and far between but they are there :D
A reward is a reward in whatever form you choose to give it
No, it isn't. The DOG decides what a reward is, not the human. A lot of dogs go nuts for squeaky toys, give my dog a squeaky toy and you'd be punishing him because he's scared to death of them. A reward is only a reward if the dog thinks so.

As for the way your class teaches a sit, I used to take my dog to a class that taught it the same way. 3 of us trained using the methods recommended here and the difference in the dogs was huge. Not in how good they were but in their attitude. It's not something I'd have picked up on if it hadn't been for seeing both together but having seen it I won't go back to using force unless it's absolutely necessary.
Julz

Post by Julz »

Sarah83 wrote:
I dont treat my dog with food because she has an allergy and all treats on the market for this purpose all contain cereal which she cant have.
Actually, they don't. My dog can't have cereals either. Treats without them are few and far between but they are there :D
Can you name them, would like to try and find them - thanks If it's the JWB Crackerjacks, she wont take them as a reward/treat.. only as a bedtime biscuit for reasons known only to her.... she wont take them at all during the day if offered.

any other brand - Butchers/Bakers/Pedigree Chum, own brands ALL contain cereal and animal derivatives which she cannot have.

Sarah83 wrote:As for the way your class teaches a sit, I used to take my dog to a class that taught it the same way. 3 of us trained using the methods recommended here and the difference in the dogs was huge. Not in how good they were but in their attitude. It's not something I'd have picked up on if it hadn't been for seeing both together but having seen it I won't go back to using force unless it's absolutely necessary.
Like i said... Force isnt used, so kindly stop mis-quoting me thanks.
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

Fish4dogs have a good range of products that contain nothing but fish, some contain rice flour though so if that's a problem check the ingredients first. Wainwrights freeze dried liver and freeze dried chicken treats.
I can't actually think of any others that could be used as training treats right now, I tend to make my own as it's easier.

As for not using force, can I ask how you "put the dog gently into a sit" then?
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

Have a look at zooplus if it is available in your country Julz, they have loads of treats that are cereal free - dried fish, dried meat, and some come as tiny treats made of chicken or chicken and fish - have a look at the cat section as well for tiny treats.

There are loads and loads of other things that can be used as reward, cooked meats, cheese, some dogs will work for veg or fruit - I have clicker trained with dried carrot before now, like you buy for rabbits.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Where did I say 'force' had to involve the animal screaming or howling - if you are using your hands to physically put the dog into a position then it is force no matter how hard or gentle you do it. If that isn't what you do then I apologise.

If you read the training philosophy at the top of this area of the forum you will see we do not advise aversives and force would come into that and I have explained why.

There are myriad things you can use as a treat - the OP was quite clear about why she thought using treats wasnt a good idea and after I clarified how they were used she was perfectly happy. To come and state that a dog will work to please the owner, and that you can use anything YOU like as a reward regardless of how the dog feels about it is wrong and it is my job here to correct things like that - you know thats wrong, otherwise YOUR dog would work for JWB Crackerjacks but as you say yourself, she won't!

For the record, I rarely EVER use a shop bought treat - I also rarely ever feed kibble and if I do it is Taste of the Wild or Orijen which are both grain free and pretty easily available in teh UK. I use cheese, sausage, cheese spread, ham etc as training treats, along with squeaky balls and with one dog, a very high pitched squeaky voice to praise in conjunction with scritches behind the ears depending on what I am training him, so I am well aware that food treats are not the be all and end all of rewards.