Vent!

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Nettle

Re: Vent!

Post by Nettle »

:lol:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

We took ours! I read that they had to be let in :? Either way, we didn't have any problems. I agree they definitely shouldn't be left outside alone, although I saw a few couples take turns.

My rant actually starts a few days ago, the mob of kids down our street were trying to proclaim something at me about teacup chihuahuas and I told them there was no such thing. Well today I passed the two worst of the mob (honestly, I really hate these kids) proudly informed me there is such a thing because the internet said so and I'm just not happy because they know more than me. Now, teacup anything rubs me the wrong way on a good day, these kids rub me the wrong way on a good day but just before this conversation as I was driving home they were throwing things at my car so today was not a good day. These are the same kids that said I was nasty because I don't let them just descend on my dog when they "just want to touch". Mum thinks I need to "sort myself out" and maybe I do get more riled up by them than most people would / do but I can't help if they really push my buttons
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Mind over matter, delladoo. You don't mind and they don't matter.

Don't be concerned that they have wrong ideas - by the sound of them their whole lives are wrong ideas. Let them get on with it, don't let them rile you. People can only annoy us by our own consent.

delladooo

Post by delladooo »

Nettle wrote:Mind over matter, delladoo. You don't mind and they don't matter.

Don't be concerned that they have wrong ideas - by the sound of them their whole lives are wrong ideas. Let them get on with it, don't let them rile you. People can only annoy us by our own consent.
Ahahahaha that definitely makes me feel better :D Usually if they're being passively annoying I can ignore them pretty well but when they are too close and trying to touch the dogs I tend to get very riled but they just don't get it. I know Laufey doesn't mind but there are dogs that do and the thought them being the cause of a dog being pts really worries me because they don't care, I did try explaining once and it didn't help so now I just avoid as much as possible
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

delladooo wrote:Usually if they're being passively annoying I can ignore them pretty well but when they are too close and trying to touch the dogs I tend to get very riled but they just don't get it.
Try wearing yellow ribbon :lol:
Humans are not so much different from dogs.... Safe distance and all :)
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

Ari_RR wrote:
delladooo wrote:Usually if they're being passively annoying I can ignore them pretty well but when they are too close and trying to touch the dogs I tend to get very riled but they just don't get it.
Are we talking ribbon for me or the dog? :P I think I need it more than him :oops: :lol: In all seriousness, I think I will be getting yellow ribbons / vests / something for this summer to work on training both kids around dogs because MiMi barks at dogs when on lead and Laufey is really excitable (I have yet to make an attack plan though)
Erica

Post by Erica »

delladooo wrote:
Ari_RR wrote:
Are we talking ribbon for me or the dog? :P I think I need it more than him :oops: :lol: In all seriousness, I think I will be getting yellow ribbons / vests / something for this summer to work on training both kids around dogs because MiMi barks at dogs when on lead and Laufey is really excitable (I have yet to make an attack plan though)
I'm going to try to make a vest thingy for Delta tomorrow! Haha :P

Honestly, I just finished "Control Unleashed: The Puppy Program" and it is BRILLIANT and has such great ideas for keeping dogs in a thinking brain vs a reacting brain; if you've got the money for it I'd say it's well worth it. Just, so many ideas, so adaptable, and so easy to understand! I'm still fangirling a bit and I just started "Control Unleashed: whatever the normal one's called" because oops I bought them both and why not.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

Erica wrote: I'm going to try to make a vest thingy for Delta tomorrow! Haha :P

Honestly, I just finished "Control Unleashed: The Puppy Program" and it is BRILLIANT and has such great ideas for keeping dogs in a thinking brain vs a reacting brain; if you've got the money for it I'd say it's well worth it. Just, so many ideas, so adaptable, and so easy to understand! I'm still fangirling a bit and I just started "Control Unleashed: whatever the normal one's called" because oops I bought them both and why not.
I don't think I'm creative enough for that! I want to read these books, I have a growing list of things I want to do this summer and I'm not sure I'm going to have time for everything.

In other news, not a vent :wink: I'm pretty proud of myself right now (and Laufey but that's another story) I've just passed the kids again to which I got "teacup chihuahuas are real, even my dad and the internet said so" so I calmly asked if they wanted clarification and gave an explanation (I believe the girl who riles me on purpose make an attempt as I continued BUT I ignored it) I am rather ridiculously proud of myself :mrgreen:
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Owners of working breeds that allocate 1/4 of an average suburban yard as the dogs' paradise and therefore feel no need to take the dogs for walks because they get plenty of exercise in the yard. I am really hoping this is a recent occurrence due to the age of most of the dogs. The puppy gets taken to group walks by his breeder.

I can't imagine having a puppy and not wanting to take it just about everywhere to be certain it is well socialized. I also can't imagine having a dog and not taking him/her places. I feel very sorry for both the dogs and the owners.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
gwd

Post by gwd »

delladooo wrote:In other news, not a vent :wink: I'm pretty proud of myself right now (and Laufey but that's another story) I've just passed the kids again to which I got "teacup chihuahuas are real, even my dad and the internet said so" so I calmly asked if they wanted clarification and gave an explanation (I believe the girl who riles me on purpose make an attempt as I continued BUT I ignored it) I am rather ridiculously proud of myself :mrgreen:
I would have been proud if you'd just kept walking and not said anything. Maybe your mom can to LAT work with you. Would chocolate be high value to you?
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

gwd wrote:
delladooo wrote:In other news, not a vent :wink: I'm pretty proud of myself right now (and Laufey but that's another story) I've just passed the kids again to which I got "teacup chihuahuas are real, even my dad and the internet said so" so I calmly asked if they wanted clarification and gave an explanation (I believe the girl who riles me on purpose make an attempt as I continued BUT I ignored it) I am rather ridiculously proud of myself :mrgreen:
I would have been proud if you'd just kept walking and not said anything. Maybe your mom can to LAT work with you. Would chocolate be high value to you?
ahahah I would have been prouder of that too but I think that's much too advanced at this point. Chocolate is very high value at the minute, I have a real sweet tooth when revising for exams :lol:
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

I've just witnessed a woman violently hit her dog (German Shepherd) multiple times because it reacted to a dog across the road. I know these things happen but to actually want a woman do it and shout at the dog was just awful. I've never seen this woman and her dog before so no idea how I could possibly do anything about it unfortunately. But from what I could see, one day she and her partner(?) aren't going to be able to hold and dog and it's going to do serious damage. :? :cry: :x
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

It's not like me to feel like giving up, but I feel 'changing the world one person at a time' isn't working right now. :?

TWO people who know me fairly well have just had (unrelated) 7 month old puppies castrated, one because 'he was running off' (this person has had several dogs killed because she and her family don't get the concept of safe fencing or shutting doors and gates) the other 'because he was humping his sister' (I told them not to get two puppies at a time and not to buy from a puppy farmer) and each time the vet told them that castration would magically solve everything. Goodness how I hate it when veterinary staff that haven't studied the subject give behaviour advice.

Add to that the person who smacked her dog in the face when he growled at her....because she was trying to take something off him. Yeah, that's really going to help.

I have also just read two different articles in newspapers of the 'my dog's sooo naughty' kind, by stupid people who have never bothered caring for or training their dogs. One is even moaning because her elderly dog 'stinks'.

I have no idea why dogs ever threw their lot in with humankind. It certainly isn't to the benefit of most of them. :evil:

Theo400

Post by Theo400 »

delladooo wrote:I've just witnessed a woman violently hit her dog (German Shepherd) multiple times because it reacted to a dog across the road. I know these things happen but to actually want a woman do it and shout at the dog was just awful. I've never seen this woman and her dog before so no idea how I could possibly do anything about it unfortunately. But from what I could see, one day she and her partner(?) aren't going to be able to hold and dog and it's going to do serious damage. :? :cry: :x

I know how you feel Delladooo I use to live in Macclesfield in Cheshire and even though there are good owners who train positively there were so many people who I would see hitting , kicking , even dangling there dog from the air on there lead. I moved because half of them were youths who have staffie's or rotties as weapons and it angers me. this is one of the dogs I use to live near who attacked Theo twice and other dogs the owner has never trained the dog and Rocko use be outside on a piece of string tied to a pipe he use to wonder off on his own a lot as they were to lazy to walk him and I had enough and called the RSPCA but nothing seemed to change and they still have him. here he is as a puppy https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hp ... e=56234A4E

and as an adult https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hp ... e=561D5B5C

he makes out he loves his dog yet he beats and kicks him just because he wont come when he calls him yet its his fault for allowing him to roam off leash without a collar :evil: :evil:
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

Nettle wrote:I have no idea why dogs ever threw their lot in with humankind. It certainly isn't to the benefit of most of them. :evil:
I have to agree there Nettle, it's scary what some people think about dogs in such a casual way - example being that dogs just smell - when they're responsible for literally everything in their lives.
Theo400 wrote:I know how you feel Delladooo I use to live in Macclesfield in Cheshire and even though there are good owners who train positively there were so many people who I would see hitting , kicking , even dangling there dog from the air on there lead. I moved because half of them were youths who have staffie's or rotties as weapons and it angers me. this is one of the dogs I use to live near who attacked Theo twice and other dogs the owner has never trained the dog and Rocko use be outside on a piece of string tied to a pipe he use to wonder off on his own a lot as they were to lazy to walk him and I had enough and called the RSPCA but nothing seemed to change and they still have him.
I have to say, most owners that you actually see in my immediate area are pretty good - there are a lot of staffies but more because there's just an abundance of them as opposed to as a status dog. Further into the town centre you do get more of the status dogs that people seem to treat worse but what really got me about this incident is just how blatantly they hit the dog in plain view of myself, my mum and the owner of the dog that was barked at then proceeded to come into the park where we were with two dogs.
Rocko looks a lovely dog but I can't imagine as much would hold him to a pipe if he didn't want to be kept there. I realise that some dogs are just prone to dog aggression but if they do nothing then, quite frankly, they shouldn't have a dog... On the topic of the RSPCA (I volunteer for them at a local level) our UK laws aren't very good so they don't have many powers to actually do anything unless there is severe health risk to the dog so, unless the dog is sick to the point of being in danger of dying, as long as they have access to water, get provided with food and somewhere to shelter from the weather they're rather stuck - an infuriating situation for the inspectors and anyone who wants to report anything to them. If they could do anything we'd report our neighbours for their treatment of their dog but as she has shelter, food and water there is nothing they can do about the fact she is basically ignored or shouted at :cry: